A complete estate plan will address intangible digital assets, such as your:
· Social networking sites
· Photo sharing sites
· Digital bank records & investment accounts
· Blogs, domain names, copyrighted material; and
· Paypal & Bitcoin.
Tracking down access information for each of these assets and deciding how to handle each of these assets can be time consuming and daunting for the family member or friend who is handling your affairs.
- Complete your estate plan by preparing an inventory of your digital assets and updating it periodically.
- Usernames and passwords should be kept in a safe place, but one that will be accessible to your personal representative.
- Leave clear instructions in your estate plan regarding destruction and/or distribution of these increasingly valuable assets.