R&T has a history spanning over 120 years. The individuals that came before us exemplified our commitment to excellence in the law and service to their communities.
Richardson and Tyler, was founded in 1897 by Frederick William Dallinger (b. 1871), Harvard Class of 1893, chairman of the Massachusetts Conveyancers Association, Director of Harvard Trust Company and Cambridge City Treasurer, and Harry N. Stearns, attorney and member of the Massachusetts Legislature.
Garald R. Richardson, born in 1893 in New Hampshire, attended Dartmouth University, graduated from Harvard Law School, joined the firm, and practiced law until 1978.
Earle S. Tyler, born in Maine, joined the firm in 1928 and practiced extensively in the area of trials and estates. He served as Majority Whip in the Massachusetts Legislature and was nominated three times to the bench, which he declined in favor of his true love, trial work. He was active in the firm until his death in 1982.
Herbert O. Berry joined the firm in 1948. Widely considered a real estate expert, he lectured at Boston University, and served as town counsel, town clerk, selectman, and on multiple boards and committees in his beloved home town – Watertown, until his death in 1980.
Kenneth Williams, born in Maine, was admitted to the bar in 1928. He served a clerk of the United States Court of Appeals, then entered private practice as a practitioner of real estate law, estate law, business law, and transportation law. He was nationally regarded as an expert in interstate commerce, and appeared regularly on behalf of trucking companies before the Interstate Commerce Commission. He served on the faculty of Suffolk Law School for over 40 years and was known by hundreds of attorneys as the beloved “Professor”.